SEMMNI,SEMMNS config for posgres 7.1 under Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Eric Scroger
Subject SEMMNI,SEMMNS config for posgres 7.1 under Solaris
Date
List pgsql-admin
Greetings,

I need help configuring SEMMNI and SEMMNS for postgres 7.1 under Solaris.
We are upgrading from postgres 6.4 to 7.1.  When I start postmaster, I get
the following error message in postmaster.out:

--------------
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=5432002, num=17, 03600) failed: No space
left on device

This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.

It occurs either because system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the
respective kernel parameter.  Look into the PostgreSQL documentation
for details.
---------------

I did a little surfing on the web and found this page on the postgresql site
which suggests how to configure Solaris' /etc/system file to handle this
problem.

    http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.html

Basically, it appears you add the following lines to /etc/system and reboot.

------------
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256

set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32

Well, I tried that and I still get that same error message.  Any other
ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Scroger