Re: Conditional Statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Medi Montaseri
Subject Re: Conditional Statement
Date
List pgsql-general
PG's PL/pgSQL language does indeed support conditional statements.
See PostgreSQL 7.x Programmer's Guide, Procedural Languages, Description
section with your installation.

In fact it supports

IF-THEN
IF-THEN-ELSE
IF-THEN-ELSE IF

However, what I have seen people do in a case of just drop-create is to
simply
drop table; create table. So if the table is not there, you just get an
error.
But your request is valid, what if one wants a better control of what to
create
and what to leave alone.

I think the standard front end (psql(1)) does understand SQL but I'm not
sure
if it also understand PL/pgSQL...perhaps someone can add to this....