Re: returning rows from a function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: returning rows from a function
Date
List pgsql-general
Nikheel,

It can done indirectly by returning a refcursor.  I sent out the
attached java program last week on the pgsql-jdbc mail list last week
showing how refcursors can be used to return records.  While recursors
are intended to return the results of a query, you can also use them to
return arbitrary sets of records as well, as the example shows.  It is
ugly but can be done.

thanks,
--Barry

Nikheel Dhekne wrote:
> I am new to Postgres and have a rather straightforward question. Is it
> possible, and if so, what is the syntax for returning a recordset from a
> function?
>

> I have tried
>

> CREATE FUNCTION selectUserProperties(text) RETURNS RECORD
>

> and
>

> CREATE FUNCTION selectUserProperties(text) RETURNS SETOF varchar
>

> Neither of which seems to work. The rest of the function is?
>

> CREATE FUNCTION selectUserProperties (text) RETURNS RECORD
>
> AS '
>

> BEGIN
>
>             SELECT            key,
>
>                                     value
>
>             FROM               user_properties
>
>             WHERE            username = $1;
>

> END;
>

> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> Both key and value in this example are varchar columns.
>

> Thanks for your help.

> Nikheel Dhekne
>
> NetAid | Developer
>
> http://www.netaid.org