Re: Mapping tables to disk drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Emberson
Subject Re: Mapping tables to disk drives
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Richard Emberson wrote:
> > Are there any guides, references, etc. for helping someone:
> > 1) know how to map a particular table to a particular disk drive (is it
> > just symbolic links) and
>
> Yep, just symlinks.  We know we need a better method.  Also, as the
> table grows, extent files for >1gb will also need to be symlinked.
>
> > 2) for what type of queries and table layout combination would it make
> > sense to do so?
>
> First, pg_xlog/ should be on a separate drive.  Then you can think about
> moving indexes and tables to separate drives.

I looked around the .../data directory. How does one map from index and
table names
to file names?

Also, I assume that when a extent file for >1Gb is created (by the DB as it
is running)
one must stop the DB, move the file, make a symbolic link to the moved file,
and then
restart the DB.