VERY basic - Mailing list pgsql-general

From paul
Subject VERY basic
Date
List pgsql-general
I want to do some psq1 work and am setting it up on RH 7.2.  I installed
Postgres while installing.  I also had apache, php, perl and some
postgres gui interface (can't remember what it was).   The problem . . .
I guess just installing something doesn't mean it is operational.   I
looked at a tutorial and also the documentation and they both contain
about the same information.  They are about downloading the files and
then doing the configure and make.  This doesn't really apply since I
have already gotten it downloaded, etc.
Also, the directories mine is in is different than what is listed in the
documentation.  I found a /usr/include/pgsql/lib instead of the
/usr/local. . .   and also found a data library in
/usr/lib/pgsql/local.  There is also /usr/bin/psql.    These all seem to
be different than what the documentation talks about.  They didn't
actually go in to how to get things set up.  I tried '/usr/bin/psql' and
get the msg asking if the postmaster is running locally.
There was a 'short version' of the setup :

adduser postgres                               -- postgres is already a
user
su - postgres                                           -- I did this
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data     -- this does
not work, it tries to create the data directory and

--  get a 'Permission   denied' message

-- I went back to root and chmod to 777 and  still get

-- permission message.  Do I need to have 777 permission

-- all the way down to /usr?

-- So this is how far I got. But am hopeful with this.

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test