Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Medi Montaseri
Subject Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
And tell them that you can not run more than one instance of MS SQL on a
box. So if at one point, you guys need a development database, you got to buy
another box.

Also tell them that MS is one the most SQL non compliant vendors.

Also tell them that NT runs its TCP/IP stack in user land, and
as such, the process is not guranteed to be switched to just because
an ethernet frame came up the stack and said, I'd like to connect to the
database. When TCP/IP is in the kernel, at least it makes up thru the TCP/IP
stack. The bottom line. You'll get no-connections once in a while.

Also tell them that If your database, or problem statement, or skill sets
grow beyond NT and decide to install a Sun box. Then forget about the MS SQL.

Also include the cost of rebooting the NT once a month.

Oh include the cost of a monitor as well. Cause NT boxes don't function much
without a monitor. Linux or Unix can be remotely managed headless.