initdb - segmentation fault - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bradley Brown
Subject initdb - segmentation fault
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all,
    I am trying to do an initdb and keep getting a segmentation fault
during the "Vacuuming database" portion of the initdb script.

    I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on RedHat 7.1. I have the following
rpm's installed:
        postgresql-libs-7.1.3-1PGDG
        postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
        postgresql-server-7.1.3-1PGDG
        postgresql-devel-7.1.3-1PGDG

    Here is the output of the initdb -

[postgres@huma pgsql]$ initdb
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server
process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data
Creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base
Creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global
Creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1
NOTICE:  Initializing database with en_US collation order.
        This locale setting will prevent use of index optimization for
        LIKE and regexp searches.  If you are concerned about speed of
        such queries, you may wish to set LC_COLLATE to "C" and
        re-initdb.  For more information see the Administrator's Guide.
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-02-11 09:02:47 EST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 8)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 8); Undo record at (0, 8); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
Creating global relations in /var/lib/pgsql/data/global
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2002-02-11 09:02:54 EST
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 108)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 108); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 17199
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
Initializing pg_shadow.
Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating system views.
Setting lastsysoid.
Vacuuming database.
/usr/bin/initdb: line 635: 16757 Done                    echo "VACUUM
ANALYZE"
     16758 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) | "$PGPATH"/postgres
$PGSQL_OPT template1 >/dev/null

initdb failed.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.16677.
[postgres@huma pgsql]$

Here is my postgres user .bash_profile -

[postgres@huma postgres]$ cat .bash_profile
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
PGLIB=/usr/lib
PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
USERNAME=""

export USERNAME BASH_ENV PATH PGLIB PGDATA

# DoubleVision's terminal type collector ...
[ -x /bin/termtype ] && /bin/termtype

[postgres@huma postgres]$

And here is the output from gdb on the core dumped by initdb... this
core was dumped in the $PGDATA/base/1 directory -

[postgres@huma pgsql]$ cat gdb.out
GNU gdb 5.0rh-5 Red Hat Linux 7.1
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as
"ipostgresql-libs-7.1.3-1PGDG386-redhat-linux"...=postgres: No such file
or directory.

Core was generated by `/usr/bin/postgres -o /dev/null -O -F
-D/var/lib/pgsql/data template1'.
#0  0x402b66b9 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit
[postgres@huma pgsql]$

If anyone can help me out and let me know what is going, I would greatly
appreciate it as a major project depends on the completion on this dbase
installation. Thanks in advance,
Bradley Brown