Re: 7.1.3 : copy from stdin is very slow! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: 7.1.3 : copy from stdin is very slow!
Date
List pgsql-general

Chris Gamache wrote:
<snip>

> shared_buffers = 2*max_connections

This looks interesting.  I thought the "2*max_connections" was supposed
to be a commented line?

Chris, do you really have the line :

shared_buffers = 2*max_connections

in your postgresql.conf, uncommented and all?  I'm thinking that somehow
PostgreSQL might actually be accepting it, and interpreting it as the #
2.

And THAT would crawl.

You should instead (by hand), get the value of your max_connections
parameter (in the same .conf file), double it, and that's the lowest
number you should use.

i.e.

if max_connections = 32, then you should be using shared_buffers of at
least 64.
if max_connections = 120, then you should be using shared_buffers of at
least 240.

etc.

Hope that's helpful.

:-)