Re: pg_dump/PgAdmin problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: pg_dump/PgAdmin problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Wood wrote:

> As far as I can tell, those views only reference system tables (pg_class,
> pg_attribute, pg_type,pg_rewrite). But if you still need it I'll be happy to
> send it to you directly.

FYI there was the following announcement.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

 Subject: [HACKERS] pgAdmin users upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.2
    Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:45:19 +0100
    From: Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>

Hi,

It's come to my attention that users of pgAdmin (the original, not
pgAdmin
II) will not be able to dump/reload their 7.1.x databases into 7.2
without
an additional step in the upgrade procedure.

This is because pgAdmin creates a number of views on the server which
include the oid column from tables such as pg_attribute - obviously
attempting to reload these view will cause an error as there is no
longer an oid column in pg_attribute in 7.2.

pgAdmin II is unaffected by this problem.

I will obviously try to assist anyone who suffers from this problem,
but if the following text can be added to the INSTALL file and
anywhere else that may be appropriate it might help ease the pain!

{at the end of #2 under 'If you are upgrading)

     pgAdmin 7.x users will need to drop server side objects
     before dumping their database, otherwise the reload will
     fail. To do this, select 'Drop all pgAdmin Server Side
     Objects' from the 'Advanced' menu. pgAdmin does not
     support PostgreSQL 7.2, instead, please try pgAdmin II
     from http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/.

Regards, Dave.