Re: sequence indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: sequence indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw wrote:

> Could one run a postgresql process in a lower priority process and
> perform lazy vacuums without affecting performance all that much?

One must be very careful not to introduce reverse priority problems -
i.e. a
lower priority process locking some resource and then not letting go
while
higher priority processes are blocked from running due to needing that
lock.

In my tests 1 vacuum process slowed down 100 concurrent pgbench
processes
by ~2 times.

> A live index compaction can be done by indexing the table with a
> temporary name rename the old index, rename the new index to the old
> name, and drop the old index.

Isn't this what REINDEX command does ?

Hannu