Re: sequence indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: sequence indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> >> I've looked at the problem a little bit --- there's literature more
> >> recent than Lehmann-Yao that talks about how to do btree compaction
> >> without losing concurrency.  But it didn't get done for 7.2.
>
> > Yes, there must be. Informix handles this case perfectly.
> > (It uses a background btree cleaner)

As an idle thought, I wonder what other maintenance tasks we could have
a process in the background automatically doing when system activity is
low ?

Maintenance
***********
- Index compaction
- Vacuum of various flavours

Tuning
******
- cpu_tuple costings (and similar) recalculation(s)

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head though.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Right, I had hoped to fold it into lazy VACUUM, but ran out of time.
> (Of course, had I known in August that we'd still not have released
> 7.2 by now, I might have kept after it :-()

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi