Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL (Can't take anymore! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL (Can't take anymore!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> > Does any one really see any reason to debate this? BSD people won't change
> > their minds and the GPL people will continue to push for GPL.
>
> Huh?  We're not debating it --- no one in this thread is suggesting that
> the license be changed.  We're trying to formulate a FAQ entry that
> will prevent people from bringing the subject up again in the future.
>
> I think the hard part here is to word the entry to make it clear that
> the decision is final, without annoying anyone so much that we end up
> creating flamewars instead of preventing 'em.

Could something like "The core team has participated in several
discussions
about changing the license and has found no good reasons to do so".
If anyone else wants to relese it under any other license (GPL, MPL,
AOL, MSFT ;)
then they are free to do so as long as they comply with the original
license.

That could produce 1 or 2 dead PostgreGPL.sf.net projects each year but
should otherways be harmless :)

Hannu