Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Justin Clift wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license. While the
> > > GPL also promotes open-source, it has certain anti-closed source
> > > (proprietary) restrictions.  Many PostgreSQL developers question the
> > > need for such restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to
> > > change it.
> >
> > Ok, how about :
> >
> > We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.  While the
> > GPL has similar goals, it has questionable anti-"closed source"
> > (proprietary) restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to
> > change it.

I don't think calling the GPL "questionable" is anything other than
flame-bait.  BUT, I do like the new "goals" wording... um...  how's this
:

We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.  While the
GPL has similar goals, it also has anti-"closed source" (proprietary)
restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to change it.

***

I find it amazing I'm even concerned about this when I should be
sleeping.  :)

'nite

+ Justin

> OK, here is Justin's wording, with "goals" and "questionable" added.
>
> --

   - Indira Gandhi