Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'd get rid of the 'foreseeable future' part myself ...

The whole thing is too wordy.

Many PostgreSQL developers past and present are uncomfortable with
restrictions imposed by the GPL.  The PostgreSQL project always has
and will continue to remain under the BSD license alone.

It's an FAQ entry, not an exercise for a law student.

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Brent Verner wrote:
>
> > [2002-01-20 23:43] Bruce Momjian said:
> >
> > | At the great risk of causing chaos, let me chime in on this.  First, in
> >
> > | However, we clearly don't have unanimous agreement on using GPL so I
> > | would like to address this in an FAQ item to get it more concrete.  What
> > | do people think of this summary:
> >
> > | The GPL is similar to BSD, except that it has certain anti-closed source
> > | (proprietary) restrictions.
> >
> > Calling the two licenses "similar" is only an invitation to engage
> > in license war.  I'd suggest something like the following (as long
> > as it doesn't contain any factual errors).
> >
> >    The PostgreSQL project has released its code under the BSD
> >    license since its inception.  Occasionally, users request that
> >    the project be relicensed under the GPL.  Many PostgreSQL
> >    developers feel the GPL contains certain restrictions that
> >    might limit the ability of commercial entities to contribute
> >    or continue contributing to the codebase, and question the
> >    need for such restrictions.  In light of these concerns, we
> >    will continue with the BSD license for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > cheers.
> >   brent
> >
> > --
> > "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are
> > really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
> > to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

Vince.