Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > Ok, how about :
> > >
> > > We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.  While the
> > > GPL has similar goals, it has questionable anti-"closed source"
> > > (proprietary) restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to
> > > change it.
>
> I don't think calling the GPL "questionable" is anything other than
> flame-bait.  BUT, I do like the new "goals" wording... um...  how's this
> :
>
> We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.  While the
> GPL has similar goals, it also has anti-"closed source" (proprietary)
> restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to change it.

I know this is a pain but I think it is worth getting this down so we
have something concrete to point to when people ask.  Actually, it is
going much quicker and smoother than I thought.

How about this?  I have removed "questionable": (This is getting shorter
each time.)

We carry a BSD license, the archetypal open-source license.  While the
GPL has similar goals, it also has "closed source" (proprietary)
restrictions.  We like our BSD license and see no need to change it.