Re: large number of files open... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: large number of files open...
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Steve,

Steve Wolfe wrote:
<snip>
>   Our web servers handle a very large number of virtuals domains, so they
> open up a *lot* of log files, and have (at times) hit the same problem
> you're running into.  It used to be necessary to recompile the kernel to
> raise the limits, but that ain't so any more, luckily.  With 2.4 kernels,
> you can do something like this:

It might be worthwhile taking a look at the program which Matthew
Hagerty wrote called "pgLOGd".

It's designed to get around the need to open heaps of log files, instead
it pipes all the log entries to a single daemon which logs the entries
into a database for later processing.

Not sure how it would work in a virtual domain environment though.  :)

http://www.digitalstratum.com/pglogd/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> echo '16384' > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> echo '65536' > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
>
> or, in /etc/sysctl.conf,
>
> fs.file-max = 16384
> fs.inode-max = 65536
>
> then, /sbin/sysctl -p
>
>   Remember that inode-max needs to be at least twice file-max, and if I
> recall, at least three times higher is recommended.
>
> steve

   - Indira Gandhi