Re: Increasing checkpoint distance helps 7.2 noticeably - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Increasing checkpoint distance helps 7.2 noticeably
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > BTW, has anyone experimented with the OSDB benchmark at
> > http://osdb.sourceforge.net/ ?  I'm wondering if it might give
> > more useful numbers than pgbench does.

I heartily recommend OSDB.  It seems to give reliable numbers, and
simulates multiple clients quite well.

It's the continuation of the code which Compaq sponsored for internal
testing of their own servers.

It's based on the AS3AP (ANSI SQL, Standard Scalable and Portable)
benchmark, with the exception it generates a lot more information about
how the database is doing, unlike the official benchmark which pretty
much just generates one number at the end.

The AS3AP benchmark is described and documented at :

http://www.benchmarkresources.com/handbook/5.html

Version 0.11 of the OSDB software
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18681&release_id=55146)
supports PostgreSQL 7.1+.

I remember having trouble with hash indices, and having to modify the
code to use btree indices instead, as PostgreSQL seems to have
deadlocking problems with hash indices when multiple people access them.

Also, you have to generate your own dataset using a specific program (I
have it if anyone needs it), or download the test datasets.  The test
datasets have a maximum of about 40MB, but if you use the program to
generate your own data, you can generate test data up to about 44GB or
so (or maybe more, I don't remember).

Hope that info is useful for someone.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,