Re: Feature Request: DROP ALL FROM DATABASE database_name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: Feature Request: DROP ALL FROM DATABASE database_name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid:20020109010848.D21205-100000@earth.hub.org" type="cite"><pre
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:tswan-lst@ics.olemiss.edu"><tswan-lst@ics.olemiss.edu></a> writes:<br
/></pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">This could be useful for cleaning out a database (sequences, triggers,<br
/>rules)without deleting it and without having to create it, thus<br />preserving permissions/owner information.<br
/></pre></blockquote><prewrap="">What permissions/owner information?  There won't be any left if we<br />remove
standpoint,this is something that I'd definitely love to see<br />... would save getting requests from users that don't
haveaccess to<br />anything but their database from having to ask me to DROP/CREATE their<br />database
:)</pre></blockquote>Marc, I agree.   One of the disadvantages of using PostgreSQL in a multiuser multidatabase
environmentis the user and access controls that are currently available in PostgreSQL.<br /><br /> I have dreamed of
theability to go GRANT ALL ON DATABASE database_name TO USER username and then add a table and them be able to have
permissionsto access that table.   It would almost be worth having a pg_access system table that had the OID or
theactual information to store, i.e. OID or name, but I think it would useful from a DBA standpoint and from an ISP
standpointas well.   Currently a GRANT ALL ON only does current objects, but will not include future objects (an added
tablefor example).   I do think an  overall database level permission would be most advantageous. <br /><br /> The
proposeddrop command would be a step in making this more useable and hopefully increase the userbase and popularity of
PostgreSQL.<br/><br /> Personally, I think the developer group has done an incredible and commendable job so far.
And,there's no other database that I would prefer to use.   However, the user and rights management is a bit awkward