Re: constants for return value from PQftype? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: constants for return value from PQftype?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I'm trying to build the PoPy PostgreSQL/Python interface so that
> I can use PostgreSQL with Zope, and I'm having some problems:
> ././PoPy.c: In function `PoPy_converter':
> ././PoPy.c:77: `BOOLOID' undeclared (first use in this function)
>         I looked through the headers and the documentation.  the PG_xxx constants
> don't seem to be in the the user include files.  I can't seem to find PQftype in
> the documentation, or any hint as to what it should be returning.  Shouldn't
> these constants, or something like them be somewhere in the include files?

These values are not *guaranteed* to be constants across PostgreSQL
releases (though in fact they tend to stay the same). It is possible to
query the database to find them on connection startup (then populate a
Python dictionary with them for lookup?), or you can hardcode them in as
your current code does. As you noted the definitions are not considered
part of client-side code so were removed from the include files.

Are you building PostgreSQL from sources? If so, the definitions are
available in the backend catalog header files...

                  - Thomas