Re: How to cast a char[] to varchar? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Lapham
Subject Re: How to cast a char[] to varchar?
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Jon Lapham wrote:
>

>>I have a column defined as "char(3)[]" which I would like to copy into a
>>different column defined as "varchar(255)".
>>
>>I've tried to cast the char(3)[] field using "CAST( ... as varchar)" but
>>I get an error message, "Cannot cast type '_bpchar' to 'varchar'".
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>

> What are you trying to get out?  You've got a char(3) array, what do you
> want the varchar to have in the end?

Assuming "category" is the char(3)[] column, and "cat2" is the desired
varchar(255) column, I would like the following:

main_v0_8=# select peopleid, category, cat2 from people where
peopleid=100010;
  peopleid |   category    |  cat2
    100010 | {"col","dep"} | col dep
(1 row)

However, in the real database the char(3) array "category" may contain
anywhere from 0 to 10 items.

PS: It would be fine if the things in "cat2" contained the braces and
quotes, it does not need to be cleaned-up.

--

  Jon Lapham