Re: Question on populating tables . . . - Mailing list pgsql-general

From P.J. \"Josh\" Rovero
Subject Re: Question on populating tables . . .
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes.  After you have defined the table (i.e., CREATE TABLE...)
you can use COPY (in psql or code) or \C (in psql).  Tabs are
the default delimiters for COPY.

  \h copy
Command:     COPY
Syntax:
COPY [ BINARY ] table [ WITH OIDS ]
     FROM { 'filename' | stdin }
     [ [USING] DELIMITERS 'delimiter' ]
     [ WITH NULL AS 'null string' ]
COPY [ BINARY ] table [ WITH OIDS ]
     TO { 'filename' | stdout }
     [ [USING] DELIMITERS 'delimiter' ]
     [ WITH NULL AS 'null string' ]

Something like:

    copy mytable from '/home/chen/testdata.tab';

ought to work.

Peter E. Chen wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Is there a way to populate a table using a tab-delimited file?  This feature
> is available in MySQL and I'd like to know if it is possible with
> postgreSQL.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

P. J. "Josh" Rovero                                 Sonalysts, Inc.
Email: rovero@sonalysts.com    www.sonalysts.com    215 Parkway North
Work: (860)326-3671 or 442-4355                     Waterford CT 06385