Re: plpgsql dynamic queries and optional arguments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harvey, Allan AC
Subject Re: plpgsql dynamic queries and optional arguments
Date
List pgsql-general
Curtis,

Here is an example function that uses dynamic sql.
I use it under 7.4.5

Hope this helps.

Allan

-- Function to delete old data out of the point tables.
-- tablename is a column in the points table that holds the name
-- of the table in which this points data is stored.

create or replace function delete_old() returns integer as '
    declare
        pt record;
        count integer;
        sql_str varchar(512);

    begin
        count := 0;
        for pt in select * from points loop
            sql_str := ''deleting from '' || pt.tablename || '' data older than '' || pt.savefor::varchar || ''
days'';
--            raise notice ''%'', sql_str;
            sql_str := ''delete from '' || pt.tablename || '' where dt < (now() - interval '''''' ||
pt.savefor::varchar|| '' days'''')::timestamp;'';

            execute sql_str;
            count := count + 1;
        end loop;

    return count;