Re: Connection Pooling, a year later - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: Connection Pooling, a year later
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The trick for that is to call COMMIT before you pass the backend to a
> new person.

The failure to COMMIT is a programmer error - ROLLBACK's much safer.  At  least that's what we decided in the AOLserver
community,and that's

what the drivers for Oracle and PG (the two I maintain) implement.

> Now, if you want to abort a left-over transaction, you can
> do an ABORT but that is going to show up in the server logs because an
> ABORT without a transaction causes an error message.

The connection pooling mechanism needs to track the transaction state
and only ROLLBACK a handle that's not in autocommit state or in the
midst of a BEGIN/END transaction (again, Oracle vs. PG)..

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR