Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Stavrides
Subject Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>Paul Stavrides <pstav123@adelie.net> writes:
>
>>Initdb is failing most of the time on RH 7.1.
>>

>Very strange, considering that lots of other people build successfully
>on the same platform.  I've got to think there is something odd about
>your local setup.

Yes, I would think so.  Inconsistant too.  I got it to run once with a
switch back to 7.3.1 from 7.3.2.  I will have to try on another machine.
 I had the rpm's  install on my laptop here, but I thought that I
removed any files that the rpms might have dropped in my path.  I am
specifying all paths completely.   Maybe some paths are not quite kosher
for the postgres user....

>You did edit NAMEDATALEN *before* you compiled anything, right?  After
>you've changed it, you'd probably need a "make clean" before rebuilding.
>Also, what did you set it to?

Oh yea.  I think I set it to 100.   I have even resorted to 'make
distclean' and a reconfigure in between trials...

>Most peculiar.  .../1262 would be pg_database, which certainly ought to
>exist.  If you run initdb with --noclean, is that file present after the
>failure?  Permissions and so forth look reasonable?  What's its size?

Yes, I know, the -n switch.  No, 1262 never gets created as far as I can
tell.  I am going to have to get much deeper into this, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

-paul