Re: JDBC bug? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: JDBC bug?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>I haven't seen any evidence in this thread of a JDBC bug.  The original
>>posting refered to calls in the DatabaseMetaData classes doing
>>toLowerCase().  This is appropriate because the DatabaseMetaData class
>>is querying the pg_* tables to get information about database objects,
>>thus since the backend stores the identifiers in lower case, therefore
>>the jdbc code needs to do a toLowerCase().  The followup below is more
>>

> But the backend doesn't store identifiers in lowercase if they have
> created mixed-case identifiers with double-quotes, right?  I am
> confused.

Correct.  But if you ask the API to get information about table myTable,
you should get an answer back for a table created as (create table
myTable (foo text)).  The only way to do this is to lowercase the input
to match what the database is storing (mytable in this case).  I agree
that if the table is created with a mixed case identifier (create table
"myTable" (foo text)) then there isn't a need to lower case in the
driver.  Therefore the fact that there are a bunch of calls to
toLowerCase() in the jdbc code for DatabaseMetaData doesn't mean that
there is a bug here as they are entirely appropriate under some
circumstances.  If someone produces a test case that demonstrates a bug
I will be glad to look into it.  But up to this point there has only
been a lot of speculation on code that may be entirely correct.  Test
cases demonstrating a real problem would be much apprecieated in this case.

thanks,
--Barry