Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 10:11, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > > Tom Lane wrote

> > Can't we somehow WAL only metadata and not the actual pages for
> > DELETEs - as delete is essentially (though currently not technically)
> > just metadata it should be a possible thing to do.
>
> Is it possible to do ordered writes, the way ext3 does?

I remember it being discussed on this list that you have very little
control over writing order if you operate above filesystem/cache level.

> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs7/

I guess that is the article that sparked the idea of journalling only
metadata for deletes (including the delete half of update)

Using the Journaling Block Device described there could actually be
a good (though currently not portable) solution if you run linux.

Hannu