Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Multilingual application, ORDER BY w/ different
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> --On Saturday, November 17, 2001 13:39:36 -0500 Tom Lane
> <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> In my mind the main difficulty
>> with it is that the standard C library doesn't really support concurrent
>> use of multiple locales: it's built around the assumption that you set
>> your locale once at program startup.  setlocale() is, typically, not
>> a fast operation.  To get around this it seems we'd need to write our
>> own set of locale library routines, which is a daunting amount of work.
>>
>> I think the last time this came up, someone mentioned that there's an
>> open BSD-license locale library being worked on, which possibly we could
>> adapt instead of reinventing this wheel for ourselves.  But I don't
>> recall more than that.  Check the archives.

I guess it must have been IBM's International Classes for Unicode at
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

It is quite big:

       Download

File   Size   Description
icu-1.8.1.zip
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/1.8.1/icu-1.8.1.zip>   7.3 MB  ZIP file for Windows platforms
icu-1.8.1.tgz
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/1.8.1/icu-1.8.1.tgz>   6.4 MB  gzipped tar archive for Unix and other
platforms
icu-1.8.1-docs.zip
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/1.8.1/icu-1.8.1-docs.zip>
1.1 MB   ZIP file with the API documentation
icu-1.8.1-docs.tgz
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/1.8.1/icu-1.8.1-docs.tgz>
0.9 MB   gzipped tar archive with the API documentation

but I suspect that it would otherways be the easiest way to get a good
internationalisation support.

Hannu