Re: getting started with libpq and postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Antonio Sergio de Mello e Souza
Subject Re: getting started with libpq and postgresql
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Damar Thapa wrote:

> In my linux RH7.1, I found libpq-fe.h in /usr/include/pgsql directory,
> so I replace the line '#include "libpq-fe.h"' in ctest.c
> with'#include "/usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h"'.   I did not get the
> above-said error, but the followings:
>

> /tmp/ccgwexRo.0: In function 'main':
>

> /tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x12): undefined reference to 'PQconnectdb'
>
>  /tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x2b): undefined reference to 'PQstatus'
> /tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x5c): undefined reference to 'PQerrorMessage'
>
> /tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0xd4): undefined reference to 'PQexec'
>

> Do I have to do any setting in gcc or compilation has to be done
> differently.

Hi,

You need to tell the compiler where the include files and libraries are.
Try this command:

gcc -I /usr/include/pgsql -L /usr/lib/pgsql -lpq -o ctest ctest.c

The -I option says that the include files are located at
/usr/include/pgsql, the -L says that the library can be found at
/usr/lib/pgsql and the -lpq option shows that you're using the pq
library. This is just an example, the actual paths in your system can be
different.
Also, you need to check  the contents of the /etc/ld.so.conf file. Add a
line with the path to the library if it isn't already there. Remember to
run, as root, the command /sbin/ldconfig if you change that file.

Regards,

Antonio Sergio