Re: oid's in views. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dado Feigenblatt
Subject Re: oid's in views.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Aasmund,
>
>    Thank you for the clarification.  Now that I know what you are doing, I
>went through exactly the same thing about a year ago ... which is how we
>discovered some additional problems with using OIDs in database design.
>I was trying to spare you the same dead end.
>
>>>If your problem is that you want to update VIEWs and aren't sure
>>>
>>what the
>>
>>>PK for the view is, could you follow a standard like this:
>>>
>>>CREATE TABLE person (social_security CHAR(9), full_name TEXT);
>>>
>>>CREATE VIEW pers_view AS select social_security AS primkey,
>>>                                social_security,
>>>                                full_name);
>>>
>>>and know that you can always find the "primkey" field in the view as one
>>>
>>>to use in where clauses for updates?
>>>

>This is more-or-less a correct approach.  As it does not address the
>issue of different data types, let me tell you what I did:
>
>Each significant data table contains one column, the first column,
>called "usq", for "universal sequence".  This usq field may or may not
>be the primary key for the table, but does have a unique index.  The usq
>is populated by a single sequence "universal_sq" which is shared between
>tables, thus allowing all tables usq uniqueness between them.
>
>This strategy has allowed me to write a number of functions which are
>table-agnostic, needing only the usq to do their job (such as a function
>that creates modification hisotry).
>
>-Josh Berkus

Hi Josh!
Once you have your usq, how do you get more info about that row?
How do you know which table it came from?

Thanks

--
Dado Feigenblatt                                 Wild Brain, Inc.
Technical Director                               (415) 216-2053