Problems setting up PostgreSQL and Tomcat JDBC connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikola Milutinovic
Subject Problems setting up PostgreSQL and Tomcat JDBC connection
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all.

I'm crossposting this to two mailing lists, I think poth parties are concerned.

Finaly got some time to work on my project on Tomcat and I ran into problems.
Mostly these problems stem from the inconsistent documentation that accompanies
Tomcat 4.0 distribution. And it would appear that PostgreSQL is also in error
(see below).

I have:

- Tru64 UNIX 4.0D (a.k.a. Digital UNIX)
- Java 1.3.0 SDK
- Tomcat 4.0 final release
- PostgreSQL 7.1.0
- PostgreSQL JDBC 2.0 compliant driver

QUESTION 1: How do I go about setting it up with Tomcat?

I have tried the following:

- placed postgresql.jar in ${CATALINA_HOME}/common/lib/
- added CATALINA_OPTS="-Djdbc.drivers=postgresql.Driver"
- restarted Tomcat

My JSP file is:

<%-- My first go at PostgreSQL and JSP --%>
<%@ page info="test" import="java.sql.*, javax.sql.*" %>
<%!
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost/mercury", "test", "test00" );
String query = "SELECT * FROM div";
%>

[SNIP]

When I run it, I get the following error:

Root Cause:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: postgresql

This would imply that I'm either using a wrong connection string or the driver
isn't loaded, right?

QUESTION 2: Now this may sound dumb, but... PostgreSQL docs state that I should
load driver with "-Djdbc.drivers=posgresql.Driver", but if I list postgresql.jar
file, I see it is "org.postgresql.Driver". Is this a typo in the docs?

Nix.