Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review
Date
Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review
List pgsql-general
Hey guys,

Does anyone know anything about this SQL*Net compatible thing which we
are supposed to be developing according to the article?

I haven't heard anything about it.

Also, it says we are planning full Unicode support for the future.
Don't we already have unicode support?  (not sure I'm not experienced
with multi-byte encodings at present).

Presently I'm writing an email to David Stodder, their Editorial
Director, asking him to remove that article until they fix the
inaccuracies.

So far the mistakes I have are :

- "Both MySQL and PostgreSQL are multithreaded servers..."

PostgreSQL is NOT a multi-threaded server.  It is *no-where* claimed to
be a multi-threaded server.

- "PostgreSQL provides support for queries and data manipulation
statements that span multiple database instances."

PostgreSQL does NOT support queries and data manipulation statements
spanning multiple database instances.  This is well known, and for the
author to even somehow get the concept that PostgreSQL DOES do this,
demonstrates his absolute LACK of even the most basic knowledge
regarding PostgreSQL.

- "...subqueries are at the top of that list along with support for
hierarchical queries..."

PostgreSQL fully supports subqueries and has done so for many releases.

- "PostgreSQL plans to release a SQL*Net compatible service that will
make a PostgreSQL database look to outside applications like an Oracle
server."

This is not the case.

- "The upcoming release of the Red Hat Inc. database packages PostgreSQL
7.1.2 with Red Hat Linux 7.1, integrated under a single installation
mechanism."

It's not upcoming.  It's been available for around a month now.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

     - Indira Gandhi