Re: pg_dump output mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: pg_dump output mode
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 3, 2005, at 1:05 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> What pg_dump backup modes do people usually use for a backup of an
> entire database cluster? I usually use plaintext and pipe it through
> gzip, however, that doesn't allow you to restore single objects from a
> complete backup.
>
> Is there a way to back up the entire cluster using the "t" or "c"
> output
> mode for pg_dump? What is the difference between "t" and "c"?
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis

Come to think of it, I don't know a way to dump an entire cluster in
the custom format, but that might be because pg_restore is designed
to restore a database rather than a cluster.

I think the only difference between "t" and "c" is that "c" is
compressed by default.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect