Re: MySQL treads belong else where. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael
Subject Re: MySQL treads belong else where.
Date
List pgsql-general
Guy Fraser wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would appreciate it if the MySQL zealots with troglodytical
> mentalities would confine themselves to there own mailing list.

I've yet to see any MYsql zealots on this list.

> The odd comparison is OK but the flame wars are a waste of storage.
>

> MySQL and PostgreSQL both have loyal followers for there own reasons.
> Both of these open source database engines have pros and cons. Each
> database project has it's own unique set of requirements which are more
> suitable to one or the other, but could probably be don in either.
>
> Marketing a database by claiming your features are better and the
> feature of the other are useless is immature.

No it's not useless - if you don't offer alternative view (like MYsql's
information on foreign keys) people do believe everything they read.

> I use both, but I look to this list for PostgreSQL questions and
> answers. The bantering of MySQL zealots does not help anyone on this
> list with PostgreSQL questions or answers.

Detailed and open discussion of MYsql vs Postgresql does belong on the
general list.
A lot of people do believe everything MYsql says (like I used to) like
to get both sides of the story and then be able to pass the information
to others. It helps in making decisions on which database to use.

So far I haven't seen any real flames or insults thrown about yet  - no
MYsql will kill your puppy threads at all.
There can be rigourous discussion without insults being thrown and so
far that's all I've seen.