Re: Database Permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Subject Re: Database Permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Withers wrote:

> My apologies if the answer(s) to my questions are obvious to others. I'm
> still quite new to Linux and PostgreSQL.
>
> I have set up a database to be used by hundreds of students. Within psql I
> set GRANT SELECT ON database TO PUBLIC on the database but have found that
> if I login as one of those students I can login as the database owner by
> using
>
> \connect database owner
>
> I then used:
>
> ALTER USER owner WITH PASSWORD 'password';
>
> the database confirmed a change had been made. I had hoped that by
> explicitly putting a password in for the owner that if I used the \connect
> .... then I would be required to put a password in to connect as owner.
>
> Unfortunately not.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I might secure the database to SELECTS only.
> Curerently I have not invoked password authentication on the database
> itself. I'm currently using the default settings on pg_hba.conf and I'm
> wondering if the problem can be handled by altering this?

Perhaps this problem can be corrected by editing your

pg_hba.conf file...

and require identd or password authentication for the

127.0.0.1
or
your.local.machine.ip.address

;-)

HTH

Cheers,

John Clark

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done"
--Linus Torvalds