Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2?
Date
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Thursday 23 August 2001 11:43, Steve Wampler wrote:
> > I put databases off on their own partition, away from /var/lib/pgsql.
> > In the base, all I had to do was add:
>
> > export SOLISDB=.....
>
> Ok, what is wrong with making /var/lib/pgsql it's own partition?  I do that
> myself.  On my production server, /var/lib/pgsql is the mount point for
> /dev/hdb6.

Because (for whatever reason) some, but not all, of the databases should to be
isolated in the 2nd partition.

> > but I just noticed that this isn't working with 7.1.2.  Instead, I
> > have to put the export directly into /usr/bin/pg_ctl - which I'm not
> > particularly fond of doing.
>
> And you're fond of editing the initscript that can be upgraded on top of you?

Good point!  But I did view it as better than editing /usr/bin/pg_ctl...

> The init.d script should not be edited. Really.  There is, however, a
> .bash_profile in /var/lib/pgsql that sets environment variables that are
> propagated to pg_ctl (IIRC).  Edit that, as it won't be overwritten on the
> next upgrade.

Ah - didn't know about that.  That's nicer, thanks!
--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu