Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2?
Date
List pgsql-general
Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> writes:
>
> > It looks as though the init.d script "postgres" supplied with
> > 7.1.2 no longer propagates environment variables to pg_ctl.  Was that
> > an intentional change?  Or is this something no one else sees?
>
> It's an unintentional sideeffect of fixing the "I changed the
> postgres' users shell to tcsh and things don't work like they used to"
> problem.

Ah.  Thanks!

It seems that it might be nice to have a way to set these "environment
variables" via entries in postgresql.conf?  Not that I have a good way
to fit it into the syntax...:

   export = "SOLISDB=...."

perhaps?  (Or just add a pg_ctl.conf that contains this information:

   export SOLISDB=.....

etc.)   Alternate database locations seem to be part of the configuration,
since they have to be defined before starting the postmaster - hence the
suggestion(s) to put them into *.conf.

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu