Re: integrity and inherit - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bo Lorentsen
Subject Re: integrity and inherit
Date
List pgsql-novice
Oliver Elphick wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer !

> Referential integrity doesn't support references to inheritance hierarchies.
> You will have to redesign your database.

That is sad news, is this scheduled to be fixed in the near future ?

> For example, have a trigger on each table in the hierarchy to update a
> table of keys and use RI on that; it would also help you to maintain
> primary keys -- you probably think that table derived inherits the
> primary key constraint from base, but it doesn't.  That is another problem
> with the current implementation of inheritance. :-(

I'm not quite sure what you meen. Does this mean that I sould make a rule on
insert on every enherited table, that makes sure the base is updated ?

When I do my "SELECT * FROM base" and see the value id the ID, what kind of
value am I then looking at ?

/BL