Re: Serial not so unique? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Serial not so unique?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Stephen,

That's weird behaviour.  If you'd manually created the sequence like
this :

CREATE SEQUENCE foo_seq MINVALUE 4 MAXVALUE 101 CYCLE

Then referenced it as the default like this :

CREATE TABLE bar (idnum integer UNIQUE DEFAULT nextval('foo_seq') NOT
NULL, otherstuff varchar(20));

That would explain the wrapping around behaviour, but not when the field
is a SERIAL type.

:(

+ Justin Clift

Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> > it.
> > already

> > it.

> > > 1, 2^31 -1, 1, f
> > >
> > > Stephen
> >
> > Nothing stands out there. You might try to drop and recreate the sequence if
> > you haven't already. Or, a longshot, but . . . you might check the table
> > definition to be sure it's using the sequence that you think it is.
> >
> > -- Joe
>
> Recreating the sequence solves the problem, of course. So does setval(102).
> My problem is that it got into this state originally. The test case that
> demonstrates it sometimes takes about 1.5 hours to run, and I have only got
> about 24 hours left, so I may have to stop investigating and make the
> application generate the id instead.
>
>         Stephen

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

     - Indira Gandhi