nextval, sequences and sequencenames - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wieger Uffink
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm pretty new to PostgreSQL so please bear with me if this is a newbie
question that has been answered before on this list.

I have created several tables containing a SERIAL column-type as primary
key.
What I would like to do is get the last value of these columns after Ive
inserted a new row.

I know I can do this either using nextval('sequence_name') or
curval('sequence_name').

My question:
is there anyway of retreiving the sequence_name corresponding to the
respective column,
knowing just the tablename and columnname?

The reason I need to do this, is because the application I write
dynamicly creates new tables, and I have no way of knowing the sequence
name before hand.

thanks in advance
Wieger
--