Re: why does this select hang postgres??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fran Fabrizio
Subject Re: why does this select hang postgres???
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> select * from env_info,summary,plat_info;
>
> Is my statement broken?  Is this not legal?  Postgres just sits there....

Is it just sitting there or are you making Pg work really hard?  You realize
that you are forcing a product combination of those three tables...if
there's 100 rows in each table, your result set is going to include
100*100*100 or 1,000,000 rows.  So if those tables are of even slightly
significant size, your result set is going to be ridiculous.

I'm guessing select * from three tables is not what you wanted, anyhow, but
without specifics....

-Fran