Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions
Date
List pgsql-patches
This is something which has been discussed on our list in the past. The
main argument for BSD to date has been as you noted: to get eventual
mainline pgsql inclusion. The main argument against, in my view, is that
we want to be a place where open geomatics code can aggregate. At the
moment, most geospatial algorithms are only available under commercial
licencing regimes: until we get a critical mass of open projects and
workable code, inertia will continue to point us towards closed source
and development.

We'll talk about this a bit on the list and see what the PostGIS users
think.

Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm for adding this to contrib, but is there any chance of getting it
> released under our BSD-style license, not GPL?  If it's GPL then it
> will never be a candidate to move out of contrib and into the main tree,
> which seems like something we'd like to do with it eventually.  The GPL
> license forbids us from merging GPL'd code into BSD-licensed code,
> so the best we can do with GPL'd code is keep it at arm's length in
> the contrib area.

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey