Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Allan Engelhardt
Subject Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Lee Harr wrote:

> > (Is there any good reason for this, btw.?  The major vendors [Oracle, SQL
> Server, Sybase] support having logfiles (txn, redo, archive) on separate file
> systems/devices for reliability and performance.)
> >

> My understanding is that you _can_ do this, by shutting down the server
> moving the files to the places where you want them, and linking to them
> with symlinks from their original locations.

thanks to Lee and tom: I found the pg_xlog subdirectory.  No I can go symlink mad :-)

I still think it sould be possible to set this from within the RDBMS environment.

You can use WITH LOCATION on CREATE DATABASE; why not have a WITH LOGFILE (-DIRECTORY?) option as well, a la Oracle?
Presumablythere is no real speed gain, but it would kind of make it symmetric and obvious.

And, let's face it:  for a *production* system, when would you *ever* want the data and the logs on the same physical
disk(or even on the same RAID channel)?  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic on behalf of the optimizations that
PostgrSQLperforms here.....but if so, think future-proof :-)

Allan.