Re: Fwd: getInherits(): SELECT failed. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Fwd: getInherits(): SELECT failed.
Date
List pgsql-general
Nigel Gilbert wrote:

> I sent the message below to the list last Thursday and received not
> one single reply!  Is there no one who could give me any help? Even
> 'this is the wrong list, send your query to XXX' would be useful.
>
> >I have inherited a database apparently set up using postgres7.0.2.
> >I now want to dump the database in preparation for tidying up and
> >upgrading to the current version of postgresql.  However, pg_dumpall
> >gives:
> >
> >pg_dumpall >db.out
> >getInherits(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'ERROR:
> >Attribute 'inhrel' not found

Try "psql -l" to list databases and then "pg_dump" each database
individually - see if that gets you any further (that's just guesswork).

> >A previous message in this list proposed that this error was
> >generated when a version 6 database is dumped using version 7
> >software.  I think this is unlikely to be the explanation here (for
> >example, psql 7.0.2 reads the database without complaint), but it is
> >a possibility.  My questions for the list:
> >
> >1. How do I find the version numbers of (a) the database and (b) the
> >pg_dump code, given that I am not certain about their past history.

Try "psql -V", "pg_dump -V" and "select version();" if you want to see
the versions of the various bits of front and backend.

You may find it useful to run "which pg_dump" to see which executable is
running - you may have two.

> >2.  More importantly, how do I work around the error, so that I can
> >dump the database and move up to version 7.1?

Well - if psql works you can always get the data out that way. Not
perfect but it'll do it. We'll see if we can't figure out the problem
with pg_dump first.

- Richard Huxton