Re: Posting Again... Please Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Vecernik
Subject Re: Posting Again... Please Help
Date
List pgsql-general
> Kapil Tilwani wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>         This is the second time I am sending this request... I need to
> print barcode labels from my application (well, it could be more in
> line with an applet... it is miniscule, really)...  Could I get some
> logic for printing the same, which could be also readable from a
> scanner ???  I visited some sites as guided out by the members of this
> group but they were all paid fonts.  I cannot afford to spend that...
> I am getting 3,000 Rs. (75$) only for getting this printing job
> done... and the fonts cost at least 40 $... and my coding would still
> be required to be done extra.

Depending on your environment you can either use GNU barcode:

http://www.gnu.org/directory/barcode.html

or write your own routines. If you just need numbers there is an easy
code named 2 of 5 interleaved. You can find a description of the various
coding systems at:

http://www.barcode-1.net/pub/russadam/info.html#Specs

But I definitely recommend using code 128, because it can hold any type
of character and has a check digit calculation included avoiding reading
errors (in contrary to the above mentioned code). But implementation is
more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Oliver