Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Fraser
Subject Re: Bad news for Open Source databases, acording to survey
Date
List pgsql-general
Blah Blah Blah

Who cares if GMC or some other big company want to throw a huge
amount of computer resources and money for support personnel and
contracts!

I have worked with Oracle. It is a pig on resources, a nightmare
and daymare to administer. Like all proprietary software bug fixes
and enhancements take for ever, and the price for service contracts
and software are large. I have migrated all our databases into
PostgreSQL and we have never been happier. We no longer need to
spend countless hours on the phone to get help and have turned
our Sun equipment into DNS and mail servers. We did not see a
performance increase at the time we switched, but there has been
speed improvements since. The official Oracle documentation is
horrible but there are some good third party books. The
documentation for PostgreSQL when I first switched was incomplete,
but sufficient to get me up and running in a lot less time than
oracle did.

Since then new Linux distributions can configure and install
PostgreSQL server and clients from the initial install the job
of getting a server up and going is simplified. Webmin now by
default comes with an interface for PostgreSQL, but is NOT perfect.

There are more and more add-on modules to server software that
allow PostgreSQL connectivity, and I have built some of my own
without to much difficulty.

With all the API's for different programming languages and
connectivity solutions {ODBC, JDBC ...} PostgreSQL is an excellent
solution for self sufficient people and organizations. If you
like throwing money around donate it to PostgreSQL and or go
out and pay a fair bit for RedHat Database, which is just Linux
and PostgreSQL which have been optimized for each other and are
supported by a single vendor {not enough to convince me}.

Guy Fraser

PS :

I would like to thank Tom and all the rest people at PostgreSQL
for there excellence in support and creation of great software.

--
There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you