Re: Encrypting database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Allan Engelhardt
Subject Re: Encrypting database?
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael,

On the break-in scenario:

Doing this at the database level would not be productive.  This should be done at the driver hardware level (preferred)
orat the very least at the operating system level.

See the "Loopback Encrypted Filesystem HOWTO" at http://encryptionhowto.sourceforge.net/ for one way you can achieve
thisin Linux.

On the row level scenario:

You would probably want to encrypt at the client level for this.  The client knows the user, and hence can get the
rightpassword, and you don't really want paintext over TCP/IP: better to send the encrypted data to the client.

There are plenty of encryption algorithms out there with libraries to help you.  I like Blowfish
(http://www.counterpane.com/blowfish.html),but whatever you choose: THERE IS MORE TO SECURITY THAN CHOOSING AN
ENCRYPTIONALGORITHM.  You have to look at the WHOLE system.

Allan.