Re: 9.1.3 backends getting stuck in 'startup' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Frost
Subject Re: 9.1.3 backends getting stuck in 'startup'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On May 24, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> writes:
>> On May 24, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Huh.  A bit bigger, but not by that much.  It doesn't seem like this
>>> would be enough to make seqscan performance fall off a cliff, as it
>>> apparently did.  Unless maybe the slightly-bloated catalogs were just a
>>> bit too large to fit in RAM, and so the repeated seqscans went from
>>> finding all their data in kernel disk buffers to finding none of it?
>=20
>> Seems unlikely.
>> Server has 128GB of RAM.
>=20
> Hm ... sure seems like that ought to be enough ;-), even with a near-2GB
> pg_attribute table.  What's your shared_buffers setting?

It's 8GB.

>=20
>> BTW, when I connected to it this time, I had a really long time before m=
y psql was able to send a query, so it seems to be still broken at least.
>=20
> Yeah, I was afraid that re-initdb would be at best a temporary solution.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear on that.  The currently running system is still h=
appy, but the old data directory got stuck in 'startup' for a while when I =
connected via psql.

>=20
> It would probably be useful to confirm the theory that relcache rebuild
> is what makes it stall.  You should be able to manually remove the
> pg_internal.init file in the database's directory; then connect with
> psql, and time how long it takes before the pg_internal.init file
> reappears.

So, you're thinking autovac invalidates the cache and causes it to be rebui=
lt, then a bunch of new connections get stalled as they all wait for the re=
build?

I'll see if I can get the customer to move the data directory to a test sys=
tem so I can futz with it on a non production system.