Re: SELECT something NOT EQUAL to???? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sterling
Subject Re: SELECT something NOT EQUAL to????
Date
List pgsql-general
H-

Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes, last_name should just be name. I modified this query for this post
so I wouldn't have to explain every field basically and just used the
fields specific to this query.

I used your query but unforunately this is the reply I got when
executing it.
  PostgreSQL query failed:  ERROR:  JOIN expressions are not yet
implemented

From your query though it looks like != is a valid equate symbol? Of
course the JOIN didn't work so maybe we are using a different version of
postgres. I'm using 6.5.3

If != is a valid usage (it doesn't throw errors) than wonder why it's
not working correctly.

Here is a query that I created that pulls only the employee_id/name from
list based entirely on records project_id/employee_id

SELECT e.employee_id, e.name, s.employee_id
FROM list e, records s
WHERE s.project_id=$project_id AND s.employee_id=e.employee_id
ORDER BY name ASC

This works well. Without errors so I'm working off of this model. Which
probably is a wrong approach but I'm not sure which other direction to
come from. I looked at UNION but didn't think it would be appropriate
because it requires returning the same number of fields and the two
tables are completely different and I'm really only pulling info from
list. Anywo, I'm confused by determined.

Thanks again and any further info or clarification you need or can
provide would be great.
-Sterling