Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

My thought on this is that Red Hat will do the following :

a) Gain entry into a profitable, growing market segment with their
product
b) Enhance PostgreSQL's profile through their work
c) Assist in more people developing with and for PostgreSQL, both
through Red Hat's people and through others adding support for "Red Hat
Database" to their products
  c.a) More bugs fixed
  c.b) More features added
  c.c) Further improved documentation
  c.d) Improve the present database design, management and development
tools.  Sybase, Oracle, Informix benefit from them.  We will too.

At some point they'll probably provide some direction into the
PostgreSQL effort too.  Nothing wrong with this as long as it's to the
benefit of PostgreSQL users (not just "Red Hat Database" users) and
generally acceptable.  I think their input should be encouraged, just
not taken verbatim.

So, I reckon it's a great thing to have more people involved with
PostgreSQL.  The PostgreSQL community is strong, and should not be
scared of this.  :-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

"Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos" wrote:

> > > http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2001/press_database.html
> > >
> > > Is RedHat simply providing PostgreSQL support or are they
> > > placing developers to work on enhancements/bug fixes as well?
> >
> > They are placing developers too.  New people.  I assume they will
> > announce something here today.
>
> Yes, but are they going to be collaborating closely with the current Pg core devel team or are they going to work on
theirown? The concern is regarding the Cnet article about "Redhat forking off eventually with their own pg". Their
representativesaid that there is not such intention but given that "verba volant, scripta manent", what are the
guaranteesagainst that?