Postgres Internals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dip
Subject Postgres Internals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

Im running some benchmarking tests on mysql, postgres and interbase
database servers.

does anyone know the reasons why or know where i can find out some
technical reasons why the postgres database server is particularly good
in relation to the others or just by itself e.g. use of query
optimisation or indexing etc. I'm only looking at creates, selects,
inserts, update and delete statements. I've noticed it is slow at
inserting data into tables, but especially quick at doing complex
selects (i.e. containing many joins). Why is this so?

I've tried to look around for this on the net, but all i seem to get is
a big arguement consisting of the features lacking in mysql that are in
other databases e.g. ACID!!

Thanks,

Dipesh